Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Philo Beddoe (The Band, Not the Man)


It's hard to keep up with a lot of the developments that surround Every Which Way But Loose and the Black Widows, and this one almost slipped by us. Almost.

A band in Seattle has taken on the moniker of our favorite bare-knuckle boxer west of the Rocky Mountains. On their myspace page, they've got a single titled "Hooker." I'll have to listen to it again, but there weren't any overt references to our least favorite quasi-hooker, Lynn Halsey Taylor. I would describe this metal band as a mix between Guns N Roses and .38 Special.

Having said all this, the band may have broken up as it doesn't seem like their page has been updated since a November 2009 post when "Double J" left the comment: "oh sure..my new favorite band breaks up..before i even get to see a show."

But hold on just a minute. It looks like another band has taken up the gauntlet. San Antonio sensation "Philo Beddoe" features Raymond on bass, Dee on vocals, Joseph on guitar and vocals, CJ on vocals, and Mario on drums...and sarcasm, according to the band's myspace page. They describe themselves as Nirvana playing New Wave and have a cover of "One Way or Another" on their page. They appear to have more staying power than the Seattle band, but while they've got the man on their posters, I can't detect any of the influence of country-western redneck subculture on these folks.


Just when you think that there can only be two bands named Philo Beddoe, this UK guitar rock band finds you with a cowboy named Harlan behind a seedy bar. They have about 8 originals on their web page, and they explain that they named themselves after this regular at the Palomino "COS WE'RE ALL MONKEYS."

If that's not enough musical Philo content for you, try out this single titled "Philo Beddoe" by laid back Alaskan rock band BOXX OF ROXX. They ask the questions, "What ever happened to Philo Beddoe? What ever happened to Clyde?" I suspect they are wondering what ever happened to the Seattle band Philo Beddoe. I have not found the band named Clyde yet.


2 comments:

  1. Monkeys? MONKEYS?!?!?? Clyde is an APE! 12 ribs, just like you and me!

    I don't even know what to say about all this. It seems to me like some of these bands are using Philo as a joke. Which is okay. I can see the humor in the movie as well as the depth.

    One random thought, for fans of "The Jerk," internet searches must be a different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught me . . . I'm "Double J" I feel like I've been de-masked on Scooby Doo.

    ReplyDelete